Major League Baseball - Diamond Construction
Turf Drain Australia has recently completed the construction of the Major League Baseball diamond required at The Sydney Cricket Ground for the LA Dodgers and The Arizona Diamond Backs opening round in 2014.
Our works commenced in the beginning of March, in preparation for the baseball games on the 22nd and 23rd March. Then upon the completion of these baseball games we needed to remove the baseball diamond works and re-laser the SCG, for re-turfing, in preparation for a rugby league game on the 5th April.
A brief description of the works involved with this project is as follows:
- Site set out of Baseball Diamond, Batter’s box and Pitcher’s mound
- Existing turf grass cut out and growing medium removed to a depth of 65mm
- Laser levelled the existing SCG growing medium to baseball diamond shape
- Installed the geotextile fabric to prevent contamination of the SCG growing medium with the baseball diamond sand, which was shipped from USA in bulka bags
- Baseball sand installation; consisted of spreading, compacting and laser grading in layers
- Construction of Pitcher’s mound and Batter’s box
- Red Clay installation; consisted of spreading, compacting and laser grading
- Upon completion of the baseball games we then needed to carefully remove the baseball diamond works and reinstate the SCG.
- The Dragon’s played the Rabbitoh’s on Saturday 5th April.